The Via del Sale by Mountain Bike, 2 days on the paths of the Maritime Alps
On the way of the ancient pilgrims, an unmissable journey for mountain bikers in the mountains and the sea
The Via del Sale way. Not a single road, but a network of paths known by a single name, which wind through Piedmont, France and Liguria. Also known as “via marenga” (way which goes to the sea) it was traveled in the Middle Ages by merchants, muleteers and shepherds, who transported their goods over the mountains, the most important of which was salt, the "white gold".
This tour is designed for trained bikers who love cycling at high altitudes, always tackling serious altitude gains and challenging trails.
We will depart from Limone Piemonte in the morning at 9 for a spectacular first day, 70 km and 2100m d +, which starts with the first entirely paved climb up to the Tenda col. From there we will take the military road that will lead us to the fortifications that characterize this border area. We will continue to the Don Barbera hut, where we will have lunch. In the afternoon we will leave again in the direction of the Colle della Melosa covering only military roads and mule tracks at about 2.000m of altitude.
On the second day we will continue on the ancient Via del Sale (50 km, 900 m +) and we will reach the sea, in Ventimiglia, where a well-deserved ice cream and the train await us to take us back to Limone for the end of the journey.
In this tour everyone will carry with them the luggage necessary for the 2 days: all the necessities must fit in the backpack (or in the saddle bag / handlebar) - a real mtb adventure, not to be missed, we are waiting for you!
A physically / technically challenging tour, suitable for riders that routinely use mountain bikes (or e-mountain bikes) on trips with long uphills or very rough off-road stretches (mountain trails).
Marco is the head of our biking tours. Master motorbike traveller, he's been everywhere in Europe in the last 16 years, he loves heavy metal music, eating jam directly from the jar with a spoon, living in the country and solving a Rubik's cube in less than 50 seconds. He's got super brains, he has a solution for everything but his stinky socks!
Never without: a Rubik's cube
Favourite quote: "It could be worse... It could be raining!"
This is one of our harder tours. You don't need to have the legs and breath of Nino Schurter, nor knowing how to go downhill like Greg Minnaar, it is however important that you can self-evaluate your physical condition and your technical skills to make sure you can complete the tour satisfied.
- This a tour made for mountain bikers with a good level of condition both from technical and physical standpoints.
- You have to be able to deal with distances of 50-60 km per day with positive altitude changes of up to 1,500-2,000 m. You should also be able to lead a mountain bike even on S3 and S4 (big rocks and steps, ramps with steep slopes, narrow switchbacks)
- At some point, for short stretches, you may need to push and carry the bike on your shoulder.
For more information about the difficulty rates, you can read this article by Marco: Our guide to bike trails difficulty levels
If you prefer, you can ask Marco to help with your self-evaluation, via telephone, Skype or Whatsapp. Send an email to [email protected] and set up a phone appointment with him.
You can ride our tours with your own MTB. This is the bike you know perfectly, your faithful adventure buddy.
We recommend a full-suspended AllMountain MTB (>120mm suspension) or an Enduro MTB. (For any questions you can contact us directly).
Don't forget that this is a bikepacking tour, so you will need appropriate gear, and a helmet, of course.
Consider that there will likely be extra charges for bulky luggage if you decide to transport your MTB by plane, and a special bag is normally needed. If you want more information on how to get here with your own bike, check this article on our blog: How to reach Torino with your own bike.
All our tours are directly made by us, Giroola Srl, via Amorosa 3, 10030 Villareggia (TO) (P.iva 11671600010, Scia 19022017-1520 Suap 9007)
During the tour you'll be covered by our Civil Responsibility Assurance (Reale Mutua Assicurazioni, via Corte d'Appello 1, 10122 Torino, nr.2007/03/2276452).
We adhere to the Guarantee Fund (art.50 Dlgs 23.05.2011 n.79) which can be used by all travellers provided they have a contract in case of bankruptcy or insolvency for the refunding of the price paid. (Fondo Garanzia Viaggi Srl, via Nazionale 60, 00184 Roma, certificate n. A/146.1485/5/2017).
Booking Policy, from the General Terms and Condition for the Sale of Tour Packages:
Acceptance of reservations by Giroola Srl is subject to availability. Reservations will be considered final following confirmation by Giroola Srl, even via e-mail or fax, to the client.
Indications relative to the tour package not contained in the contract documents, brochures or other forms of written communication, will be supplied in time by Giroola Srl prior to the initial starting date in compliance with its duties as envisaged by Legislative . decree n. 79/2011.
Upon booking, a registration fee and a deposit of 25% of the total amount is required. Full payment is due 30 days prior to departure. For reservations made within 30 days of departure, full payment is due upon booking. Lack of payment of the abovementioned sums on the dates established constitutes grounds for cancellation of reservations such as to determine, on the part of Giroola Srl, the right to terminate the contract.
5) TRANSFER OF CONTRACT
The client renouncing the contract may be substituted by another person provided that:
a) Giroola Srl be given written notice at least 4 weekdays prior to the date of departure, together with the necessary personal data of the transferee;
b) The transferee be able to satisfy all the conditions for the fruition of the service ( ex article 10 of Legislative decree n.111/95) and in particular the requisites relative to passports, visas, health certificates;
c) The transferee refund Giroola Srl for all expenses incurred for the transfer of the contract for the sum specified before the transfer.
Moreover, the transferor and the transferee are both accountable for the payment in full of the tour package price as well as for the sum as per item (c) of the present article.
As far as certain types of services are concerned, third party suppliers have the right to refuse the substitution of the transferee, even if effected within the time limit specified as per item (a) of the present article. Giroola Srl will therefore not be held responsible for the eventual non-acceptance of the substitution on behalf of third parties. This non-acceptance shall be notified in good time by Giroola Srl to the parties involved before departure.
In the event of withdrawing from the tour package contract, the client is, in any case, liable for the payment of the tour package price. If withdrawal takes place for reasons beyond those envisaged in article 7 of the present General Terms, the client shall pay, in compliance with ex article 1373, paragraph III, Italian Civil Code, cancellation penalties as specified below:
- 10% of the tour package price within 30 days prior to departure
- 30% of the tour package price from 29 to 18 days prior to departure
- 50% of the tour package price from 17 to 10 days prior to departure
- 75% of the tour package price from 9 to 3 weekdays prior to departure
- 100% of the tour package price beyond these terms.
7) WITHDRAWAL OF CLIENT WITHOUT PENALTY
The client may withdraw from the contract, without incurring any penalty, in the following circumstances:
- a significant change of one or more elements of the contract which can be objectively considered as fundamental for the fruition of the tour package in its entirety and proposed by Giroola Srl.
- after the conclusion of the contract itself but prior to departure and not accepted by the client.
In the abovementioned circumstances, the client is entitled to the following options:
- the fruition of an alternative tour package, with no increase in price or with the restitution of the excess in price, if the second tour package costs less than the first;
- the restitution of any sum corresponded as partial payment. Said restitution must be made within seven weekdays from receiving the request for reimbursement.
The client must communicate the decision (to accept the change or to withdraw) within two weekdays from receiving notice of the price increase or change. In the absence of specific notice within the said term, the proposal made by Giroola Srl will be considered accepted. The client who decides to withdraw from the contract before departure for circumstances beyond those listed above shall pay, after deducting the account paid as per article 4, the penalty indicated in article 6.
8) TOUR VARIATIONS
Variations to the tour, requested by the client, after the confirmation of booking, could involve processing expenses for Giroola Srl and at times penalties charged by suppliers. If so, the customer will be charged. Partial withdrawal of some of the travellers under the same contract and the resulting decrease in number of tour members is to be considered partial cancellation and is consequently regulated as stated in article 6.
As specified in our General Conditions of Sale of tourist packages, when you travel with Giroola you are covered by our Civil Liability Insurance. For all that could happen and that was due to our negligence or error, we have signed a policy (Reale Mutua Assicurazioni, nr.2007 / 03/2276452).
There are other insurance policies that we recommend and for which we have chosen to work with Allianz Global Assistance, whose Globy range seems to us to be the most suitable for our travelers:
- TRAVEL CANCELLATION - Our 8-person trips are often full months before the date of travel, and even if our cancellation policy is actually much more flexible than expressed in our Booking Policy (our travelers can attest to this, we are very available to move the trip in case of unexpected even the last minute), where other facilities are involved (hotels, rentals, etc) some expenses are not really refundable, and therefore a good trip cancellation insurance becomes a valuable ally.
- ACCIDENT - with a minimum cost you can be insured against accidents. Our civil liability notwithstanding, something can always happen and even a small accident, as in everyday life, can cost dear in terms of rehabilitation, absence from work, etc.
We at Giroola are an agency of the Globy network of Allianz Global Assistance, and we can therefore provide you with all the information, make estimates and issue the policies directly with the booking.
For any information our Paola is at your disposal at the phone number +39 370 3506333, at the address [email protected] or in the chat directly on this page.
- 2 breakfasts
- 1 lunches
- 1 dinner
- Assistance for 2 days on the trails
- Train ticket from Ventimiglia to Limone Piemonte
- 1 night, with breakfast
- 2 days of mountain bike trails on the legendary Via del Sale
- Giroola’s technical t-shirt